Jamia Millia Islamia was established in 1920 by a group of Nationalist Muslims, at Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh). Recognizing its contributions in the field of teaching, research and extension work, the University Grants Commission (UGC) bestowed the “deemed university” status to it in 1962. The Jamia was made a Central University by an Act of Parliament in 1988 vide Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988. The Degrees/Diplomas/ Certificates offered by Jamia Millia Islamia, are recognized by all the members of the Association of Indian Universities(AIU) and are at par with Degrees/Diplomas and Certificates of all Indian Universities, Deemed Universities and institutions.
Departments and Faculties
It is an ensemble of a multi layered educational system which covers all aspects of schooling, under-graduate and post-graduate education. The university recognizes that teaching and research are complementary activities that can advance its long-term interest. It has Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Education, Humanities & Languages, Architecture &Ekistics, Fine Arts, Law and Dentistry Faculties. Also, it has a well known AJK Mass Communication Research Centre. Jamia has over thirty research centres that have given it an edge in terms of critical research in various areas. Some of these are Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution; Academy of International Studies; Centre for Culture, Media and Governance; Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies; Centre for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology; FTK Centre for Information Technology; Centre for Management Studies; Dr. K.R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit & Minority Studies; Centre for West Asian Studies; Centre for Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Sciences; Centre for Theoretical Physics and Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Basic Sciences.
- “The Week” ranked the University at No. 10 nationally while at No. 6 in north India for the year 2016.
- As per India Today Survey-2016 Ranking, Faculty of Law was ranked at No. 15.
- As per survey by OUTLOOK, Faculty of Law was ranked at No. 6.
Faculty of Law
The faculty of Law offers the following courses to the students
- L.L.M. (Executive) (Self-financed) Weekend Programme
- B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)
- B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) (Self-financed)
The university conducts an entrance examination through which it offers admission to the students purely on the basis of merit.
The eligibility criteria of JMI BA LLB 2017 academic qualification and upper age limit as mentioned below –
- Candidates needed to be passed 10+2 qualifying examination or equivalent in any discipline (Commerce/Science/Arts/Humanities) under state/national board of education
- Candidates needed to have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate of core subjects and English Language subject
- General category candidates should not be more than 20 years of age
- Whereas, reserved category candidates including SC/ST/OBC need not be more than 22 years as on July 1, 2017.
Also read “All About Jamia Millia Islamia B.Tech/ B.Arch Admissions 2017!“
Counselling and Admission Procedure
Candidates are shortlisted as per the merit list and wait-list of JMI BA LLB 2017 and need to attend counselling as per the schedule announced by the University. Candidates will be issued call letters which mentions date, time and counselling venue. Candidates need to visit the counselling venue along with required documents for verification.