Proneeta Swargiary, a student of BA Program, Maitreyi College (Delhi University) won the 5the Season of ‘Dance India Dance’. Proneeta is known for her kathak performances in the show, but she is not only a kathak dancer, but is also a trained dancer for hip hop, contemporary, and various other dance forms. The show was judged by Gaiti Siddiqui, Punit Pathak and Mudassar Khan along with grand master Mithun Chakraborty. The young talented dancer thanked her mentor Punit.
1. How were you feeling the moment you were crowned with ‘Sunehri Taqdeer ki Topi’ on DID Season 5?
I still couldn’t believe I was holding the ‘Sunehri Taqdeer ki Topi’ in my hand – a goal each one of us contestants had worked day and night for. This, truly, was the best moment of my life. Dancing is my life and passion and winning the show was a dream come true.
2. The reality show must have brought some changes. How was your life before ‘Dance India Dance’ Season 5?
Before joining Dance India Dance, I worked as a freelancer in the Kingdom of Dreams which is India’s first live entertainment, theater and leisure destination.
3. Was this the first time you auditioned for ‘Dance India Dance’ and end up winning the show altogether?
I auditioned in Season 2 but could not make a cut. Since then I have only been training and practicing to make it to this prestigious platform. I am also grateful to the audiences for having voted for me and showering me with so much love.
4. There is always a person who helps in bringing up the fault you in to improve your skills. Whom would you like to dedicate your victory?
This journey wouldn’t have been the same without the guidance, support, and love of my mentor and master – Punit. He inspires us every day with his dedication to dance, consistent hard work and never say never spirit. This is what I have imbibed from him and I would like to dedicate this victory entirely to him.
5. Whom do you idolize and see as the perfect dancer?
I idolize Madhuri Dixit and aspire to be like her and I am particularly inspired by her dance moves. The extraordinary grace with which she dance is a treat for eyes. Madhuri ma’am seems like a natural dancer because of that grace, expressions, and the hard practice she puts into it.
6. When did the journey of dance actually begin for you?
It seems to me that dance is in my blood and I am always ready to groove on the beats from my childhood itself. I believe it is god’s gift to me. But if we look into the professional training for that matter, I started the professional dance training in 2011.
7. After such a big win, people have started looking at you as an idol. How has your life changed after the show?
Of course! My life has changed tremendously. It is completely different from how it used to be during early struggling years. Before Dance India Dance, nobody knew about my dancing skills and this gift which I have received from god in form of dance. Now, people look for my dance, they appreciate my moves. I have gained a lot of social recognition after the show for which I am entitled to it completely.
8. You have always given entire credit for your win to Punit J Pathak. What is in him that you like the most?
Punit Sir has been my mentor from the beginning of the show. It is the personality he comes up with having a subtle nature and treats everybody equal. He paid attention to everyone equally. Also, he has a lot of talent which never overtakes his hard work.
Proneeta’s article by Indian Express.
Proneeta’s article by India Today.