Chandigarh – the union territory of India and also the capital city of Punjab and Haryana. India’s first planned city is Chandigarh. Chandigarh is famous for its beautiful gardens, good places for shopping, fun-filled nightlife, food, and gedi culture. Chandigarh is recognized as the cleanest city in the whole country. The main highlight of Chandigarh is its beautiful architecture and well-developed structures. Chandigarh sightseeing places are more and it is a perfect place for a weekend trip to visit with your family and friends.
Some of the best tourist places to visit in Chandigarh are Rock Garden, Sukhna Lake, Zakir Hussain Rose Garden, Terraced Garden, Iskcon Temple Chandigarh, Topiary Park, Leisure Valley, Government Museum and Art Gallery, Sector 17 Market, Hops N Grains, Chandigarh Capitol Complex, Japanese Garden, Garden of Fragrance, International Dolls Museum, and Butterfly Park. To book your stays and hotel use MakeMyTrip coupons so that you can get cashback and also discounts on your bookings.
Tourist Places in Chandigarh
1. Rock Garden
- The rock garden is located 4km away from the city center in sector 1 of Chandigarh. This place has become the most popular and best sightseeing place in Chandigarh.
- This garden is an open Air exhibition where the sculptures are made up of urban and industrial wastes and designed by Nek Chand who is a former road inspector of Chandigarh.
- The Rock garden is over 40 acres with more than 5000 colorful art and sculpture.
- The park is divided into three parts distinguished by their types of installations and embellishments.
- This famous place in Chandigarh – rock garden was established in year 1957 by Nek Chand.
- Timings: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm (April- September) and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (October- March)
- Entry Fees: Adults – Rs 30
Children – Rs 10
- Time Required: 4 to 5 hours
- Location: Rock Garden of Chandigarh, Sector 1, Chandigarh
2. Sukhna Lake
- Sukhna Lake is located 4km away from the city center at the foot of Shivalik Hills.
- This lake is a man-made lake that is perfect for joggers, walkers, and just relaxing with fresh air.
- Sukna lake is the best place to visit in Chandigarh with friends and is also a picturesque place with a beautiful environment.
- There are many Siberian ducks and crane present here.
- You can go fishing, and water skiing, and enjoy the sunset’s mesmerizing view.
- Especially going for a boat ride and enjoying the breathtaking view of nature is fascinating.
- And also the best Chandigarh tourist spot for picnics.
- Timings: 5:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Entry Fees: No entry fees
- Time Required: 2 to 3 hours
- Location: Sukhna Lake, Sector 1, Chandigarh
Also Read: Best Places to visit in Shimla
3. Zakir Hussain Rose Garden
- Zakir Hussain Rose Garden is situated just 1km away from the city center in sector 16 of Chandigarh.
- This garden is the largest park in Asia which was built in the year 1967.
- The Garden is spread over 30 acres and has become one of the best places to visit in Chandigarh.
- There are more than 825 varieties of flowers and 32,500 varieties of trees and medicinal shrubs.
- Also, they have a collection of more than 16,00 species of 50,00 rose plantations.
- Some of the trees and plants which are seen here are bel, camphor, bakers, Harar, and others.
- The best time to visit the Rose Garden is between February and March. As you can see flowers bloom beautifully and the famous rose festival is celebrated during these months.
- Timings: 6:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Entry Fees: Rs 50 Per Person
- Time required: 1 to 2 hours
- Location: Zakir Hussain Rose Garden, Jan Marg, 16B, Sector 16, Chandigarh.
4. Government Museum and Art Gallery
- Government Museum and Art Gallery are situated 2k away from the city center and were established in the year 1947.
- This prominent museum depicts the history and partition of our country India.
- This is one of the famous tourist places in Chandigarh with unique architecture.
- Museum has a rich collection of paintings, artifacts, and sculptures.
- You can also see Gandhara sculptures, Pahari, and Rajasthani miniature paintings.
- Timings: 10:00 am to 4:30 pm (Closed on Monday and gazetted holidays)
- Entry Fees: Rs 10 per person
Camera: Rs 5
- Time Required: 1 to 2 hours.
- Location: Government Museum & Art Gallery, 502 sectors, 10C, Chandigarh.
5. Sector 17 market
- If you are a shopaholic then this is a perfect place for you. Sector 17 market is located 2km away from the city center.
- This market is one of the famous places in Chandigarh that everyone loves to visit.
- There are chains of shops located like big brand stores, international outlets, food chains, and eateries.
- Timings: 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Entry fees: No entry fees
- Time Required: 3 to 4 hours
- Location: Sector 17 Market, 17F, Sector 17, Chandigarh
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How many days is enough to explore Chandigarh?
- 2 to 3 days is enough to explore all the famous and best places of Chandigarh.
2. Which is the best time to visit Chandigarh?
- October to March is the best time to visit Chandigarh as the weather is very pleasant during these months.
- Best Visiting Places in Gujarat - November 12, 2022
- 5 Best Visiting Places in Europe - November 11, 2022
- Best Places to Visit in Chandigarh - November 10, 2022